Obesity continues to be a major reason for significant morbidity and mortality rate across the world. Multiple comorbidities like hyperlipidemia, diabetes mellitus and hypertension, have been mainly associated with obesity. Mini-Gastric Bypass (MGB) originated in 1997 is a type of bariatric surgery which is a simple, rapid, and mainly mal-absorptive operation to help people lose weight.
Bariatric surgery has emerged as the most effective tool for sustainable weight loss in obese individuals who have not achieved long-term success with other weight loss attempts. There are different bariatric surgeries that are available but the mini gastric bypass is the most common procedure followed in recent days.
How does the mini-gastric bypass help you to lose weight?
- Reducing the feeling of hunger
- Enabling an earlier feeling of satiety and fullness while having a meal
- Decrease the number of calories you absorb from your food
- Reroute of the food stream produces changes in gut hormones that reduce the occurrence of obesity-induced type 2 diabetes
Benefits of mini gastric bypass go beyond just losing weight:
1) Technically Easier: The mini-gastric bypass procedure which is the revised form of Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass surgery or reversible laparoscopic gastric bypass weight loss surgery was developed to reduce operating time, simplify the procedure and reduce complications. This technique is generally restrictive and malabsorptive which means that the procedure reduces the size of your stomach, restricting the amount you can eat.
2) Effective for Patients with a Higher BMI: This procedure is particularly effective for patients with a higher BMI as it has more predictable and durable weight loss outcomes compared with other standard gastric bypasses.
3) Reversible Procedure: After the procedure, if the patient feels uncomfortable or aggravated immediately after the process, it can be removed or readjusted. And further, if you feel there is no need for it, then it can be removed once you reach the target weight.
4) Cheaper: When compared with full gastric bypass surgery, this technique is much cheaper and can be done quickly while achieving the same results.
5) Fewer Complications: The complications after this surgery are relatively low than the full gastric bypass operation as the time required is shorter, only one joint is made in this operation and the mini gastric bypass can be surgically revised relatively easier.
6) Health Benefits: Cures or improves diabetes, sleep apnea, hypertension, and other conditions like high cholesterol, migraines, infertility, depression, degenerative joint disease, etc.
7) Mortality Reduction/Life Expectancy: 89% reduction in risk of death is seen in patients who have undergone bariatric surgery.
8) Weight Loss: Patients who undergo a mini gastric bypass surgery lose between 80 -85 percent of their excess weight and they are even successful at keeping that weight off long-term.
9) Faster Recovery: With a shorter procedure time and hospital stay, the overall recovery for this surgery is much than other procedures. As there is no much complication, most of the patients will be able to return to work or their day-to-day activities in one or two weeks.
10) Smaller Incisions: The mini gastric bypass surgery is performed laparoscopically using very small incisions in the body. As a result, patients have less visible scars post-surgery.
11) Improves Cardiovascular Health: Weight loss surgery like mini gastric bypass decreases a person’s risk of coronary heart disease, peripheral heart disease, stroke, hypertension and myocardial infarction.
Few Risks Associated with Mini-Gastric Bypass:
- Lifelong usage of vitamins/food supplements is necessary
- 0.5-1% of patients tend to get the risk of severe malnutrition leading to reoperation
- Risk of Anemia
Overall, if you look at the benefits, the mini gastric bypass is considered to be a very good option for weight loss. With obesity and its associated health complications rising at an alarming rate, mini gastric bypass surgery certainly represents a powerful tool for providing sustained relief for overweight people. But it’s also important to know that each weight loss procedure has its own pros and cons. So, while making a decision, it’s important to choose a team that has extensive experience in performing these procedures.
Are you struggling with obesity and excessive hunger? Mini-gastric bypass may be right for you!Queensland Bariatrics provides high-quality, accessible, and affordable surgical care solutions for weight loss. With a team of talented physicians, patient care facilitators and other health professionals, Queensland Bariatrics assure the most appropriate and cost-effective healthcare and weight management services adhering to a high standard of principles and ethics.